Sunday, August 26, 2012

Welcome to room 137

Well, I have hit the ground running since I got back from Nashville a little over a week ago. My official hire date at Hutcheson Jr High was August 20th and we have literally been training every day since then. There is so much to take in and remember and I feel like my head is spinning. But I have enjoyed every minute of it and have already made some pretty awesome new friends at the school. There are a lot of teachers my age and we are all in this together and ready for a wild and very trying first year as teachers!

I have been working on my room in between training and while it is not completely finished, it is ready for students and that's all that matters! Hope you enjoy :)
*Note: I did not paint prior to decorating and had to use previous wall colors for my color scheme. I still think it turned out quite nice for a junior high classroom - not too kiddy, yet just enough time put in to show them that I care about our learning environment.

 This is a short note that the students will see as they enter the room each day. I really hope they appreciate it and are motivated by it.

 Front, left side of the room. Here, the school-wide rules and consequences are posted.


Front, right side of the room. Here I have posted the agenda for each day as well as the learning objectives. 


This is our word wall (with Peanuts bordering in honor of mi Madre).

My desk in the back of the room. 

 This is our book recommendation section of the room. The idea is to have students use post-it notes and recommend books to peers throughout the school year. I might have to include an incentive to get things going on this wall ;)


 Another view of my desk. I really love the built in bookcase. It provides lots of storage below! The green butcher paper on the front of my desk is for an in-class activity we will complete this week. I'll post pictures of that once it is done! Right now it simply asks the question, "What kind of teacher do you want?"

I am excited and nervous about my first day tomorrow! Can't wait to update you on how it went.

Keep On Teachin' On,
~Megan

1 comment:

  1. The room looks great Megan! I like the corner where students can reccomend books to eachother. I saw your Link on the Life in Middle School Blog. It looks like you are doing the book study too! I'm excited to see how it all goes! Good luck with this year!

    ReplyDelete